Engine #18, AKA “The Slim Princess” worked from Mina, NV to Keeler, CA from 1926 until she headed the last narrow gauge train out of Mina on February 16, 1938. From then on until her ultimate retirement in October 1954 she worked the 70 miles from Laws to Keeler. After a ceremonial retirement on October 16, 1954 that coincided with the acquisition of the railroads new diesel, #1, the old #18 was vacated from the roster and set aside. Now how the town of Independence got her is an interesting story in itself.
To see more historical photos, and to read about the acquisition, and then the renovation of this beautiful old machine, click here.